When We Fight, We Fight To Win
Sean M. Houlihan is a partner with the Chicago personal injury law firm of Power Rogers. Since joining the law firm in May 2002, Mr. Houlihan has successfully represented families and individuals in personal injury litigation, including medical malpractice, aviation accident laws, premises liability, and automobile liability matters.
His breadth and depth of experience make Mr. Houlihan a very skilled lawyer. As part of a talented team of Chicago premises liability lawyers, Mr. Houlihan makes sure his clients receive the best possible representation. If a person has been injured on someone else's premises, Chicago premises liability lawyers at Power Rogers will investigate, counsel and litigate, meanwhile always seeking maximum recovery in each and every case.
He is also part of a very talented group of up and coming Chicago malpractice lawyers. The Chicago malpractice lawyers at Power Rogers are trained to go after each case aggressively and strategically in order to make sure that clients get the justice they deserve.
Another area of Mr. Houlihan's expertise is deciphering aviation accident laws. In an aviation accident case, understanding the ins and outs of aviation accident laws is critical. Unlike many lawyers who call themselves aviation lawyers, Mr. Houlihan brings to his clients a deep understanding of aviation accident laws and an understanding of the client's needs in these often highly tragic cases.
Prior to joining Power Rogers, Mr. Houlihan worked as a law clerk for the Cook County Public Defender's Office, assisting in all facets of trial work, including witness preparation, brief writing, and research. Active in Democratic politics, Mr. Houlihan was an administrative assistant for former State Representative Thomas J. Dart (D-28) from 1996 to 1999, assisting with the research and writing of legislation, as well as constituent services within the district.
Mr. Houlihan received his Juris Doctorate from DePaul University College of Law in 2001. Mr. Houlihan received his Bachelor of Arts degree, with distinction, from the University of Illinois-Chicago in 1996 with a double major in European history and philosophy. While at the University of Illinois, Mr. Houlihan was asked to join the Golden Key Honor Society.
Mr. Houlihan has authored several articles for the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and Illinois State Bar Association. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
Bennie Wood, et al., v. Navistar Inc., formerly known as International Truck and Engine Corp., et al., 14 L 10457
Power Rogers attorneys Joseph A. Power Jr., as lead counsel, and Sean M. Houlihan and James Power recently obtained a $21.6 million dollar verdict on behalf of a truck driver and his wife. Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury after a defectively designed grab handle on his truck broke and caused him to fall. The case involved many disputes about jurisdiction and where the case was to be heard, and was recently featured in an article published by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
JURY VERDICT: $21,600,000.00
(2011) Wrongful Death, Trucking Accident
On Interstate 80 westbound, 5 miles east of Grinnell Iowa, the plaintiff, a wrecker and tow truck driver for the for the Hanifen Company, Inc. of Des Moines, Iowa, was working to attach a disabled tractor trailer, a sequence of events with collisions of vehicles on the road's edge/shoulder resulted in his death from being crushed between the disabled tractor and the rear of his tow-wrecker.
JURY VERDICT: $19,010,273.00
P.O. & A.R. v. W.M.
Joseph Power, Sean Houlihan and James Power secured $8,400,000.00 on behalf of two clients in this action. Plaintiffs were working as laborers for a demolition contractor and removing the brick face on an exterior wall without a demolition plan when the wall suddenly collapsed, crushing P.O. and resulting in injuries to A.R.
Settlement: P.O.: $8,100,000.00
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2001
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- Bachelor of Arts - 1996
- Honors: Golden Key Honor Society
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: European History and Philosophy
- Personal Injury Litigation
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Amicus Brief Committee, Member, 2002
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Tort Litigation Committee, Member, 2002
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Space and Aviation Section, Member, 2002
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member, 2002
- Chicago Bar Association, Appellate Law Committee, Member, 2002
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers, Member, 2002
- Illinois, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- "Institutional Liability", Authored with Todd A. Smith, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2004 Medical Malpractice Notebook
- "Jury Selection", Authored with Devon C. Bruce, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Anatomy of a Trial Seminar February 2004
- "Institutional Liability", Authored with Todd A. Smith, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2003 Medical Malpractice Notebook
- "Institutional Liability", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, December 2002 Medical Malpractice Notebook
- "Aviation and Other Transportation Liability", Authored with Todd A. Smith and Kenneth J. Merlino, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2002
- "Jury Selection", Authored with Joseph A. Power, Jr., Illinois State Bar Association 2002
- Illinois Trial Evidence, Authored with Power, Rogers & Smith, L.L.P., Published by James Publishing, Inc., 2002
- "Rule 213 and Opinion Witnesses at Trial", Authored with Joseph A. Power, Jr., Illinois Trial Lawyers Association 2001
- "Jury Selection", Authored with Joseph A. Power, Jr., Illinois Trial Lawyers Association 2000
- Recognized as Illinois Super Lawyer 2014-Present and 2008-2012 (Rising Star)
- Top Verdict Top 10 Jury Verdicts in all practice areas in 2018 - $21.62 million jury verdict
Classes & Seminars
- "The New Rule 213 - Plaintiff's Perspective", The Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, Chicago, October 2002
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Jane Adams Hull House Legal Clinic, 2003
- Cook County Public Defender's Office, Law Clerk
- Former State Representative Thomas J. Dart (D-28), Administrative Assistant, 1996 to 1999